Grave at Historic Cemetery Shows 1886 Date of Death
"We keep these people alive in our hearts by taking care of this place, by honoring this place." -- Father Gray Bean, speaking at the dedication of the historic marker at the Fraternal Cemetery in Pratt City, April 8, 2006.
The Fraternal Cemetery in Pratt City has been designated a historic place by the Jefferson County Historical Commission.
A historical marker was placed in front of the cemetery and a dedication ceremony was held on Saturday, April 8, 2006. About 40 people attended the ceremony, including St. Patrick representatives Father Gray Bean, Joe Wallace, Liz Smith, Rob Smith, Louis Muro, Gaeton Conte and Joseph Conte.
The cemetery, which was established in 1881, is located across the street from the property where St. Catherine Catholic Church was located for almost 100 years. St. Catherine was one of four churches that were consolidated into the present day St. Patrick's.
Everett Holle, a former television personality and a member of Canterbury Methodist Church, served as Master of Ceremonies. After the Pledge of Allegiance led by Boy Scout Troop #96, Father Bean addressed the crowd. "The grave is a sign of hope because Jesus himself was raised from the grave," he said. "When we come to a place like this, it gives us hope of eternal life. We keep these people alive in our hearts by taking care of this place, by honoring this place."
After comments and a prayer by Rev. Dan Ireland, Samuel A. Rumore from the Jefferson County Historical Commission officially dedicated the marker and talked about the rich history of the cemetery and the Pratt City area.
The ceremony was held in memoriam for Roland Williamson, Dan Rooks and Catherine Wallace.
Editor's Note: Knights of Columbus Council 10567 is planning a major work project at the cemetery for Saturday, April 22 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information or to volunteer to work or provide equipment or monetary donation, contact Louis J. Muro at 674-3947 or click here to send Louis an e-mail.